Brandon

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A mind is a difficult thing to change: One Liberals Journey to Conservatism

A well written series of articles from Neo-Neocon tracing her transition from New York liberal to New England neo-conservative:

neo-neocon: A mind is a difficult thing to change: Part 5 (The quiet years: tanks vs. pears)

But just as interesting as her story, which speaks for many, are the heartfelt comments of people with similar stories. Excerpted below are a few:

Ruth H said:
"I have read your posts with great interest. At 68 I remember WWII, the Korean War, And all the ones later than those. I was raised in an extremely liberal, union home and absorbed all of it's theology. (that is what it is)You have said so clearly and succinctly what I suppose most of us who became conservative went through."

Three Rounds Brisk:

The liberals presume to speak for the majority of Americans. Funny thing, that; they can't seem to win national elections or even run a profitable radio show with that kind of support.

People are trying to kill my family. The enemy has published his grievances (barbarism leavened with theocratic fanaticism), his intentions (the end of Western secular civilization), and acted forcefully to enact his agenda.

Which of our parties is more concerned with confronting and defeating the threat? Which is transparently trying to use the risks and costs of confrontation for their own political ends?

One thing that fascinates me in the post-Vietnam demise of this country is the way in which "liberalism" gradually slid into the new religion of anti-Americanism.

THEDRAGONFLIES:
I see no redeeming values in any on the left today. Their focus is on defeating Bush and the Reps, not on protecting America and Western civilization. They may have won their last presidential election and be on a pretty steep slope to oblivion.

Jamie Irons:
The most painful thing you have touched on is the isolation from former friends. Last Sunday I was invited to a poetry reading of a couple of friends at Cody's Bookstore in Berkeley; one of the friends I hadn't seeen since the late eighties.
I knew that at the reading there would be some demeaning reference to the "stupid" Bush, to the "evil" Republicans, and some blather about how going into Iraq was based on a lie, and so on...

I decided not to go so I could remember my friends as they were, and still love them.

Neo:
Not supporting Reagan is my greatest political regret

Thanks to Austin Bay for pointing me to this excellent series.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator