Brandon

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Moslem Inolerance in 18th Century

Plumber at Mental Mas.... found this very interesting quote in National Review:
I cobble together a verse comedy about the customs of the harem, assuming that...I can say what I like about Mohammed without drawing hostile fire. Next thing, some envoy from God-know-where turns up and complains that in my play I have offended the Ottoman empire, Persia, a large slice of the Indian peninsula, the whole of Egypt, and the kingdoms of Barca [Ethiopia], Tripoli, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. And so my play sinks without a trace, all to placate a bunch of Muslim princes, not one of whom, as far as I know, can read but who beat the living daylights out of us and say we are 'Christian dogs.' Since they can't stop a man from thinking, they take is out on his hide instead.

-Beaumarchais (1784), from The Marriage of Figaro
As the old Dana Carvey Saturday Night Live character Church Lady would say: "Isn't that special!"

222 years ago, long before George W. Bush, long before American "imperialism" or Israel became the excuse for violence and barbarity, we get this example of Muslims demanding Western adherence to Muslim values.

Shucks. Cindy Sheehan thought it was all Bush's fault!

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator