Nancy Pelosi, the Congresswoman from San Francisco is the woman who would become Speaker of the House of Representatives if Democrats take control of that legislative chamber this fall.
But who is she? Rather than have me tell you, her votes speak for themselves:
- Nancy Pelosi voted against every Republican tax cut. She voted for the largest tax increase in history.
- Nancy Pelosi voted 19 times against eliminating the death tax.
- Nancy Pelosi voted five times for raising gasoline taxes.
- Nancy Pelosi is so pro-high taxes she was one of only 27 members to vote against tax relief for poor neighborhoods in the inner city (presumably including her constituents in San Francisco).
- On July 31, 1996, Pelosi voted against the historic Welfare Reform Bill and later voted against its reauthorization;
- On July 19, 2006, Pelosi voted against protecting the right to say "one nation under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance;
- On Sept. 20, 2006, Pelosi voted against requiring that voters be identified so we could ensure only legal citizens are voting;
- On July 13, 2006, Pelosi voted against requiring English on ballots;
- On June 30, 2005, Pelosi refused to side with homeowners against the Kelo decision that allows cities to seize private property for profitable ventures, even though 365 members voted to stop cities from taking private property.
- Pelosi has voted at least 12 times against the death penalty;
- Pelosi was one of only 67 House members to vote against the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA);
- Pelosi has voted at least eight times against banning partial-birth abortion, at least three times against the Unborn Victims of Violence Act (Laci's law), and scored a perfect 100 percent rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America;
- Pelosi voted against a bill that would "[b]ar the transportation of a minor girl across state lines to obtain an abortion without the consent of a parent, guardian or judge;"
- Pelosi voted at least 31 times for using local or federal taxpayer dollars to fund abortions; and
- Pelosi received an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association.
Pelosi's values are Democrat's values. But are they America's values?
Excerpted from "Winning the Future, with Newt Gingrich."