Brandon

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bush Fights Back... For Once!

Is it too late?

President Bush Addresses Resignations of U.S. Attorneys
The Diplomatic Reception Room
The White House
March 20, 2007

White House transcript:

...I'll allow relevant committee members on a bipartisan basis to interview key members of my staff to ascertain relevant facts. In addition to this offer, we will also release all White House documents and emails involving direct communications with the Justice Department or any other outside person, including members of Congress and their staff, related to this issue. These extraordinary steps offered today to the majority in Congress demonstrate a reasonable solution to the issue. However, we will not go along with a partisan fishing expedition aimed at honorable public servants.

The initial response by Democrats, unfortunately, shows some appear more interested in scoring political points than in learning the facts. It will be regrettable if they choose to head down the partisan road of issuing subpoenas and demanding show trials when I have agreed to make key White House officials and documents available. I have proposed a reasonable way to avoid an impasse. I hope they don't choose confrontation. I will oppose any attempts to subpoena White House officials.
...
After years of just rolling with the punches, and the disastrous one way street of the "new tone" President Bush finally seems to understand he either comes out swinging on this one or his Administration will be over before he leaves office. The Democrats will be running things.

I'd like to say I am encouraged by his strong stand. But I wonder, is it too little too late? Can he put the Genie back in the bottle?

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator