Brandon

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Hillary Watch: Peggy Noonan

Peggy Noonan writes a weekly column for OpinionJournal.com which should be a daily read for well-informed conservatives. This week she tackles a most important topic: Hillary Clinton. I recommend reading the entire piece.

OpinionJournal - Peggy Noonan: "We have been writing lately about Republicans. Let's pay some attention to Hillary Clinton, just for fun.
I wrote a book about her more than four years ago. The idea came from a friend, a bright former-Republican-now-Democrat who thought my Wall Street Journal pieces on Mrs. Clinton's looming senatorial candidacy could be turned into something longer that made the case against her. I immediately thought: Yes, that could make a difference. I went to my publisher, who agreed, and I hit it hard, speaking to Mrs. Clinton's friends and enemies, scouring the record. What I concluded was that Mrs. Clinton was an unusually cynical leftist political operative who had no great respect for the citizens of the United States or for America itself, but who saw our country as a platform for her core ambitions: to rise and achieve historic personal and political power both with her husband and without him.
Since the book came out I haven't written much about Mrs. Clinton. I'd said what I had to say. In interviews on the book tour I said what seemed to me the obvious: she would keep her head down in the Senate and work hard, she would gain praise for her ability to get along with Republican senators, she would position herself as a moderate, and run for the presidency in 2008."

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator