Brandon

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The U.S. Finds an Old Friend Again in France

"I want to tell you that whenever a U.S. soldier dies anywhere in the world, I think of what the Americans and -- the American army and Americans have done for us."
French President Nicolas Sarkozy
Toast to the American People

The last few years have seen a growing number of pro-American leaders coming to power among our Western allies. Nicolas Sarkozy, the newly elected President of France is the latest in that lineup.

President Sarkozy arrived in the United States on Tuesday for a State Visit. First stop, the White House for a State Dinner:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush stand with President Nicolas Sarkozy of France on the North Portico of the White House after his arrival for dinner Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2007. White House photo by Chris Greenberg

The toast by the French President was especially heartfelt and moving:

Toast of President Sarkozy of France
The White House
November 6, 2007

... I've come to Washington to bear a very simple, straightforward message, and I bear it on behalf of all French men and women: I wish to reconquer the heart of America, and I wish to reconquer the heart of America in a lasting fashion. I've come to say one simple thing: France and the United States are allies, have been allies, and will continue to be allies, and have been so forever.

Our two peoples throughout our history have been through some of the worst trials and tribulations one can imagine. From Yorktown to Omaha Beach and, lastly, in Afghanistan, our common destiny is that of two peoples who believe in freedom, who want freedom, and who are prepared to struggle for freedom together. Yes, George, when we have stood together, the French people and the American people together, we have undertaken and won some of the toughest battles one can imagine.

Earlier on, I wished, and I did, decorate some of the great heroes, the American veterans who fought in the second world war, those heroes of the Greatest Generation. And I wanted to tell them that we in France will never forget what they did for us, ever. What I wanted to say is this: I wanted the American people to know that these simple people, these simple heroes were men, young men, who came to die upon our shores for something that they believed in, and that never will any French man or woman forget that. In my country there are thousands upon thousands of white crosses to remember those men who didn't know France, and yet who came to die on French soil. And I want to tell you that whenever a U.S. soldier dies anywhere in the world, I think of what the Americans and -- the American army and Americans have done for us.

Our peoples resemble one another, and they admire each other. And that is precisely why they have this strong bond, an impassioned relation which is not simple, but it is always beautiful. And I also came to say that one can be a friend of America, and yet win elections in France. (Laughter and applause.)

We have many other, many other challenges to face. I think in particular of terrorism. On 9/11 terrorists thought that they had brought, or they could bring America to its knees. And I will tell you that, seen from the French perspective, never has America seemed so great, so proud, so admirable as on 9/11. And on 9/11, we, all of us, were proud of America and the Americans.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Ladies and gentlemen, I would invite you, therefore, to raise your glasses, and let us drink to the health of President George Bush, and if you would allow me, madam, to you, Mrs. Laura Bush, and to the alliance between our two peoples. And I say the following words from the bottom of my heart: Long live Franco-American friendship. Long live the United States. Long live France.
For fans of fancy desserts, make sure to check out the Lafayette Cake which was served at the meal.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator