The past few months have seen a flurry (and I'm not talking about snow) of revelations which have fatally undermined the "scientific consensus" surrounding global warming.
In the latest revelation, Phil Jones, the scientist at the heart of the Climategate scandal admits that warming stopped in 1995 and that he lost the data which created the infamous hockey stick which purported to show that the earth had warmed like never before by omitting the Medieval Warm Period. The admission by Jones that his record keeping is ‘not as good as it should be’ is the understatement of the year.
But the climategate scandal is just one of many which reveals the corruption which permeates the entire climate change process being used by one world socialist at the U.N. to feather their own nests. Writing in the Orange County Register Mark Landsbaum describes the many scandals which have recently come to light. The following is a Cliff Notes version of his article.
- ClimateGate- The emails which describe how skeptics were suppressed and data was manipulated.
- FOIGate- Violation of British law as scientists refused to comply with requests to show their data.
- ChinaGate- 42 weather stations can not be found. Data is questionable.
- HimalayaGate- UN's key finding which speculated glaciers were melting was lifted from a magazine.
- PachauriGate-Head of the UN IPCC stonewalled Himalyagate. Also has a financial interest in global warming.
- SternGate- British 2006 report made phony scare claims about Australia hurricanes.
- AmazonGate-Green activists got UN to represent scare about rain forest as "peer reviewed" science. It was not.
- PeerReviewGate -16 nonpeer-reviewed reports (so far) from the advocacy group World Wildlife Fund that were used in the IPCC's climate change bible.
- RussiaGate-Readings from the coldest regions of their nation had been omitted, driving average temperatures up. Selective tree ring data misrepresented warming.
- U.S.Gate- 4,500 weather stations cut. Mostly from areas which showed cooler temps.
- IceGate- Claim that mountain ice in Andes, Alps and in Africa is melting based on magazine article and mountain guides; not measurements.
- ResearchGate-Penn State "scientist" at the heart of warming debate investigated for "seriously deviat[ing] from accepted practices for proposing, conducting or reporting research or other scholarly activities."
- ReefGate- Claim of coral reef degradation based not on science but Greenpeace articles.
- AfricaGate- IPCC claim that rising temperatures could cut in half agricultural yields came from a 2003 paper published by a Canadian environmental think tank – not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
- DutchGate- The IPCC also claimed rising sea levels endanger the 55 percent of the Netherlands it says is below sea level. Actual figure is 20%
- AlaskaGate- Previous studies largely overestimated by 40 percent Alaskan glacier loss for 40 years. This flawed data are fed into those computers to predict future warming.
Despite all this, the Warmists continue to insist that global warming is real and that it's man's fault. Their main prescription to address the problem is taxes on energy use in Western nations; though I have yet to hear many claim that taxes would reduce CO2 emissions in any way that would slow warming.
Much of the data the Warmists insist is still valid comes from temperature monitoring stations, not the newest satellite and ocean temp monitoring systems. That data, even when unmanipulated by scientists with an agenda is suspect. Weather stations from colder regions have been eliminated from reports and stations showing warming are often located next to areas with recent development and industrialization.
From the London Times:
“The temperature records cannot be relied on as indicators of global change,” said John Christy, professor of atmospheric science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, a former lead author on the IPCC.
The doubts of Christy and a number of other researchers focus on the thousands of weather stations around the world, which have been used to collect temperature data over the past 150 years.
These stations, they believe, have been seriously compromised by factors such as urbanisation, changes in land use and, in many cases, being moved from site to site.
Christy has published research papers looking at these effects in three different regions: east Africa, and the American states of California and Alabama.
See for yourself the photos of temperature monitoring stations located next to heat sources.
Tax CO2 Just in Case?
Warmists are reduced to the lame argument that we should tax CO2 just in case the scaremongers are right. Well, should we also drop everything we are doing and prepare for the remote possibility of an alien invasion?
Or, should we continue research on global warming but scrap the Warmists power hungry plans and address real human needs like global poverty, hunger, disease and illiteracy?