Brandon

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Las Vegas Stripper Defeats Michael Miller for Judge

Oh hey... I know what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, but those of us carrying the "Michael Miller" name need to stick together...

Reminds me of the times I saw Antonin Scalia, Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court in the lockerroom of the "Washington Sports Club" to which I also belonged... Maybe I'll tell that story one day.

Las Vegas SUN: Ex-topless dancer is elected to the bench: "Ex-topless dancer is elected to the benchBy Brian Wargo
LAS VEGAS SUN
A former prosecutor who worked as a topless dancer at a Las Vegas strip club to help put herself through college was elected Tuesday night to the Municipal Court bench in Henderson.
Diana Hampton, 39, the top vote getter in the April primary, received 51 percent of the vote in defeating Michael Miller, a Henderson Municipal and Justice Court pro tem judge, by 176 votes -- 4,193 to 4,017. She took 51 percent of the vote to 49 percent for Miller.
Miller, 54, had the backing of former Police Chief Michael Mayberry, Mayor Jim Gibson and the mayor's nephew, David Gibson Jr., who finished third in the April primary.
Backed by Henderson Councilwoman Amanda Cyphers and the Henderson Police Officers Association, Hampton was elected to a six-year term for the job that pays $109,497 a year. She said she was overwhelmed by her victory and called it a special moment in her life.
'I feel in my heart that if you really believe in yourself, there is nothing you can't accomplish,' Hampton said. 'I am so elated and happy that the voters in the city of Henderson had faith in me. I am not going to let them down.'
In April, Hampton captured 34 percent of the vote in besting three other candidates, including Miller who had 26.8 percent. Miller is a former Clark County public defender.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator