Brandon

Monday, July 25, 2005

After London, Tough Questions for Muslims

From The Washington Post

"But most of all, the London bombings rid me of all patience with the excuse that 'George Bush [or Tony Blair or take your pick of Western leaders] made me do it.' We don't know who was behind Thursday's explosions, but an Arab analyst told a satellite channel that if Blair hadn't learned the mistake of the Iraq war, these new attacks were a firm reminder.

I never bought the explanation that U.S. foreign policy had 'brought on' the Sept. 11 attacks, and I certainly don't buy the idea that the Iraq war is behind the attacks in London. Many people across the world have opposed U.S. and British foreign policy, but that doesn't mean they are rushing to fly planes into buildings or to blow up buses and Underground trains in London.


I was against the invasion of Iraq and would not have voted for George Bush if I were a U.S. citizen, but I'm done with the 'George Bush made me do it' excuse. We must accept responsibility for this mess if we are ever to find a way out.

And for those non-Muslims who accept the George Bush excuse, I have a question: Do you think Muslims are incapable of accepting responsibility? It is at least in some way bigoted to think that Muslims can only react violently.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator