Brandon

Thursday, January 19, 2006

25 Years Since Style and Humor Returned

The 25th anniversary of the first inauguration of President Ronald Wilson Reagan has been in full swing all week here at Mike's America as we count down to January 20th, the day the world changed for the better.

Our look back at the greatness of Reagan began with a large excerpt from Richard Reeves new book "PRESIDENT REAGAN The Triumph of Imagination."

Reviews and chapter one here.

Outpouring of Reagan Remembrances:


A Sense of Style and Humor Return

to the White House

After four dour years of the Carter "malaise" President and Mrs. Reagan brought back a sense of style to the White House, along with that fantastic Reagan wit. In a hint of what was to come, the news media at the time immediately criticized this renewed sense of style as wasteful and inappropriate in the bad economic times that President Carter left as his legacy in office.

Redecorating at the White House and a new set of Presidential China (full size photo here), all funded by private donations, encouraged early Reagan haters to peg First Lady Nancy as "Queen Nancy."

Never mind that during the Clinton Administration, a much more extravagant China layout and White House residential redecorationg took place without a peep (and we're still trying to get half the china and donated furniture returned).

It was hope that returned with the Reagan's. And Hope brought along it's friends Style and Humor to share in the celebration.

White House rose garden at night during the State Visit of the President of Turkey. 6/27/88.
full size image here.
Celebrating Reagan: Reflections Across the Spectrum
  • Political Yen/Yang touches again on the moral many in the military felt during the Carter years: "At this point in time, I was about to be discharged from the Army (honorably, of course). I had served four years, my time was about up. The morale was low under Carter and like many before me, I wanted out of that man's Army." He too mentions the "Tear down this wall" speech as a pivotal moment and closes with "So, before we knew it, anxiety, fear, and doubt all turned to confidence and pride. It was no longer an embarassment to be an American. Once again we could all hold our heads high, as a nation and as individuals of that nation."
  • A personal reflection on the personal kindness that Reagan exuded comes from Anna at A Rose by Any Other Name . Ann felt that " He seemed almost fatherly (or grandfatherly) and offered a sense of security. For all the doubt about his abilities and those who would label him a puppet who did not really lead, he is now considered one of the U.S.'s greatest statesmen. It is only now, looking back, that I realize how my life, our country and our world was changed by his presidency."
  • During the Reagan funeral, a client of Always on Watch said "I can't get enough of that man." AOW explores that statement:
    Yes, Reagan was a Holly- wood actor, the cam- era loved him, and he had that winning, crooked smile. But his appeal went beyond those qualities. The man was hard to dislike, in part because he could laugh at himself. Remember his appearances on The Dean Martin Roasts? He even got roasted himself! Americans love a leader with a self-deprecating sense of humor, a leader who is not full of himself.
  • The Liberal Lie Conservative Truth also posts on the value of the Reagan Humor. President Reagan disarmed his political opponets with humor as he did so famously during his second debate with Walter Mondale. After the press wondered if Reagan might be getting too old to be effective in a second term: Reagan responded: "I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponents youth and inexperience." (audio here)
  • Magnums Conservative Voice likens Reagan's strength to the heroes in the old Hollywood films, many of which Reagan starred in. This was a time when Hollywood embraced, not shamed America's greatness:
    Listening to two grandfathers tell stories about their service during World War II and being a huge fan of what some would call propaganda films starring John Wayne and others, I could not for the life of me understand how we could let this third world country [Iran] hold our people prisoner. The longer the crisis continued the more my beliefs about our nation’s greatness diminished. Then along came Ronald Reagan.
  • Palmetto Pundit asserts that Reagan was the greatest president of the 20th Century: "As many of my regular readers know, I consider Ronald Reagan to have not only been the greatest president of the 20th Century, but also one of the greatest Americans to have ever lived. I’m sure there are those who would disagree with this assessment, but if you will indulge me for a moment, I will explain the reasons I believe this to be so." Agree? Disagree? See the remainder of his post here.
  • "Thanks Ronnie, One More Time" is the post by TMH's Bacon Bits where he lists his ten reasons to thank Ronald Reagan. I could not force myself to pick one or two to highlight, as each speaks truth, so read them all.
  • Jonathon at Crush Liberalism was too young to pay much attention to the Reagan first term. But he recalls this from the 1984 presidential campaign:
    I had to follow the election of 1984 because I was in a 7th grade history class that compelled us to follow it. Still knowing and caring nothing about politics, I dreaded having to watch conventions and debates. I do remember that I was getting sleepy watching Walter Mon-dull giving his speech at the DNC convention, until I thought I heard him say "Mr. Reagan will raise your taxes, I will raise your taxes. He won't tell you this, I just did." I snapped out of my doze and thought: "Did he just promise to raise taxes?!? Holy crap, if I could vote, why would I vote for a guy who wants to raise my taxes?"

    It was all downhill for Mondale after that. He lost the union vote. He lost the female vote. He even lost a high percentage of Democrat votes! Mondale went on to lose 49 of 50 states, winning only his home state of Minnesota by a scant 4500 votes! Reagan, always the witty guy, contacted his campaign manager the next morning and asked dryly: "What happened in Minnesota?" Process that for a moment: Reagan won liberal states like New York and Massachusetts, for crying out loud!
President Reagan and Queen Elizabeth II Horseback Riding at Windsor Castle, England. 6/8/82.
Full size image here.


Liberals See the Light of the "Shining City on a Hill"

It was not just the Berlin Wall that Reagan helped to bring down with the famous words "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" but the walls of blind partisan opposition on the part of some liberals. While much of that blind opposition remains active today in regard to the current Bush Administration, reality seems to be chipping away at the intellectual foundations of that gene pool.

Mark at 4 Rows Back in the Bleacher Seats shares his own journey into the light:

In 1981, when he was inaugurated for his first term, I was a proud Liberal. What I knew about politics, at that time, could have been inscribed on the head of a pin. This would explain why I was a Liberal. I didn't have a clue...

As a Liberal, I didn't like him, and I fell into that Liberal way of mean spirited name calling and spreading lies and half truths about him, as is popular among the Liberal crowd even today. I believed the lies that the media told about him and even repeated them at every opportunity. However, I think it was during his presidency that my attitude changed. I can attribute one thing in particular that helped bring about that change of attitude:

I have always tried to be fair and intellectually honest with myself, if not outwardly. One thing I said almost from the beginning about Reagan was that he followed through with his campaign promises. That one singular thing impressed me favorably about him. I often told my colleagues, when he was discussed, "Well I don't agree with him, but you have to admit, he does what he said he would do"....

Well, you know me now. I am not now, nor will I ever again be a Liberal. I think Ronald Reagan and his presidency was the main reason that I eventually switched teams. I wanted to be associated with a party of integrity and honesty, and it was in Ronald Reagan that those qualities were found.

"I will not exploit for political purposes, my opponents youth and inexperience."

Friday, January 20, 2006 is the grand finale of our Reagan celebration. Have a thought to share? Drop a link to your post in the comments section. Or just comment.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator