Brandon

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

NYTimes: Don't Nobody Bring Me No Good News!

All the BAD news that's fit to print!

Last week I reported that the New York Times, which ran front page stories 43 out of 47 days in a row describing the nightmare of U.S. abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib in Iraq under, had failed to headline even one story anywhere in the "news"paper chronicling the release of Iraqis from an Al Queda prison where they had been subjected to REAL torture.

In the wake of the foiled plot to blow up fuel lines at JFK and nearby neighborhoods in New York City last Saturday I looked on the front page of the Sunday New York Times. No mention of the plot. A large photo of brick makers in India seemed more newsworthy to the Times Editors. I looked at the front page for Monday and also for Tuesday. You'll find a couple of stories "reporting" how dismal things are going in Iraq, but nothing about the foiled plot.

The NY Times did cover the story. They buried this news item in the back of the A section on Sunday. The question is: on a story that has a direct, personal effect on the lives of NY Times readers, why is a story on bricklayers in India more newsworthy? Surely it's good news to NY Times readers that New York City dodged the terrorist bullet once again?

As was pointed out in the Al Queda prison torture post the attitude of the NY Times is clear. The new head of their Baghdad bureau may as well have been speaking for the entire editorial staff when he said: "we are the only people preventing them [the Bush Administration] from telling the story the way they want it told."

If John Edwards reads the New York Times it's no wonder he thinks the "War on Terror" is nothing more than a bumper sticker. The NY Times seems determined to avoid "reporting" any good news or successes in our War on Terror.

Bill Keller is the Executive Editor of the NY Times. But I wonder if perhaps he was reincarnated in that role after a life as Evilene, the Wicked Witch of the East from "The Wiz." Here's an adaptation of Evilene's famous song "No Bad News"

"No Good News"
As sung by NY Times Editor Bill Keller

When I wake up in the afternoon
Which it pleases me to do
Don't nobody bring me no good news
'Cause I wake up already negative
And I've wired up my fuse
So don't nobody bring me no good news

If we're going to be buddies
Better bone up on the rules
'Cause don't nobody bring me no good news
You can be my best of friends
As opposed to payin' dues
But don't nobody bring me no good news

No good news
No good news
Don't you ever bring me no good news
'Cause I'll make you an offer, child
That you cannot refuse
So don't nobody bring me no good news

When you're talking to me
Don't be cryin' the blues
'Cause don't nobody bring me no good news
You can verbalize and vocalize
But just bring me the clues
But don't nobody bring me no good news

Bring some message in your head
Or in something you can't lose
But don't you ever bring me no good news
If you're gonna bring me something
Bring me, something I can use
But don't you bring me no good news

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator