Brandon

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Betrayal: "Lifelong Republican" Scozzofava Endorses Democrat in NY-23 Congressional Race

Trick or Treat Comes a day late in Upstate New York. One day after lauding her selfless decision to withdraw, I retract every nice thing I said about this idiot!

Yesterday, I commended Dede Scozzofava for suspending her campaign and freeing her supporters in advance of Tuesday's special election to fill the vacant congressional seat in New York's 23rd district. At the time, Ms. Scozzofava said: "I am and have always been a proud Republican. It is my hope that with my actions today, my Party will emerge stronger."

Obviously that statement had about as much truth in it as her promise that if elected she would fight to hold down taxes.

On Sunday, Scozzofava made another statement in which she ditched any pretense at being a Republican and declared:

[T]hroughout my career, I have been always been an independent voice for the people I represent. I have stood for our honest principles, and a truthful discussion of the issues, even when it cost me personally and politically. Since beginning my campaign, I have told you that this election is not about me; it's about the people of this District.

It is in this spirit that I am writing to let you know I am supporting Bill Owens for Congress and urge you to do the same.
Apparently, New York states senior Senator, Charles Schumer reached all the way to the White House in an as yet unspecified action to make this betrayal happen. We may shortly find out for what price Dede Scozzofava sold out her party and her political heritage.

One wonders how those county GOP leaders who picked Scozzofava feel about their decision today?

Reaction from the Hoffman campaign was swift:

We always said this was a race between two liberals and one Conservative Republican. Today our Republican opponent, Dede Scozzafava, who suspended her campaign yesterday, switched parties and endorsed the Nancy Pelosi Democrat!

There is only one choice now.
Doug Hoffman!


What this does to the balance of the race is unclear. Prior to today's announcement a win for the Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman looked to be in the bag. There is still a good chance for that outcome. But with Democrats mobilizing at every level, including the White House, how long it will be before a horde of ACORN supporters begin making their way to upstate New York demanding to vote on election day?

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator