By now we all know Obama wants to be America's "green" President. It's bad enough he's recycling his State of the Union speeches. Worse still is that he continues to repeat many of the same factually flawed and deliberately misleading statements over and over despite the knowledge that his green myths have been debunked.
Take for example this claim in the 2012 SOTU speech: OBAMA: “American oil production is the highest that it’s been in eight years.” He has repeated similar claims now for years but what he doesn't say is that any increase in oil production is in spite of his best efforts to choke it off. The Natural Resources Committee of the House of Representatives has the facts:
Not to mention his rejection of the Keystone Pipeline which killed thousands of good paying American jobs and increased our dependence on overseas oil.
If President Obama is truly committed to an all-of-the-above energy approach:
- Oil and natural gas production on federal lands is down by over 40% compared to ten years ago. Carney does not explain that the vast majority of increased production is occurring on private lands in states such as North Dakota, not on federal lands.
- Under the Obama Administration, 2010 had the LOWEST number of onshore leases issued since 1984.
- The Administration held only one offshore lease sale in 2011. Conducted on December 14th, the Administration narrowly avoided making 2011 the first year since 1953 without an offshore lease sale.
- Why is he proposing an offshore drilling plan that keeps the majority of our offshore energy resources under lock-and-key?
- Why did his Administration just impose a 20-year ban on uranium mining on one million acres of federal land in Arizona?
The next big whopper came when Obama said we have "only 2 percent of the world’s oil reserves." This is a variation of the "soon we will run out of oil" lie that is popular among those on the left. But like most left wing fantasies, it's just not true.
Obama's "2 percent" figure was a repeat of earlier remarks he has made such as in June 2010 where he went on to say that "running out of places to drill." What Obama should have said is that he's put most of the places we could drill off limits.
The Institute for Energy Research came out with a new study in December 2011 which highlights the huge potential of North America's untapped energy reserves. There is enough oil, gas and coal for all of North America (Canada, U.S. and Mexico) to be entirely energy independent for centuries. 1.79 trillion barrels of oil available in North America would last the U.S. 250 years at our current rate of oil use.
Obama has repeatedly blocked the recovery of American energy supplies in the vain hope that windmills or solar panels will take the place of oil. Americans are paying higher prices at the pump and enriching Arabs and the Venezuelans instead of keeping that money right here where it could put Americans to work and pay for the rebuilding of America's economic and energy infrastructure.