Brandon

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fast Food Protests Spread as Burger Flippers Revolt

I've asked a guest blogger who feels passionately on this issue to comment!

Guest Blogger Pelican Stater saw this report:
They want a raise with those fries.

New York fast-food employees joined thousands of colleagues from across the country in a Thursday strike aimed at boosting their salaries to $15 an hour — more than double the current minimum rate.

“I’m not going to stay quiet,” said Shaniqua Davis, 20, a Bronx resident and McDonald’s worker. “I’m going to continue to fight. ... I’ve got a daughter to take care of. I struggle to make ends meet.”

Paying the bills is tough for employees who typically earn the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. The nationwide walkout, set for 50 cities, is targeting chains like McDonald’s, Taco Bell and Wendy’s.
Pelican Stater: I was at first struck by the comment and attitude of Ms. Davis. Then after a bit of pondering I was less so. It is a matter of perspective and expectations. When I had my first job in 1974 at the age of 15 I earned $2.00 an hour and was quite content to do so and felt fortunate to be working. Back then there was no grand sense of entitlement that exists currently. If, as I believe is the case with other younger folks her attitude is shared we have some very rough seas ahead as a nation. I also must wonder what she receives in food stamps and other assistance from the public dole. I didn't force her to have a child. I am not forcing her to work at McDonald's. PATHETIC !

Mike's America notes: I started working at minimum wage paying $1.60 an hour. For that, I took care of the elderly in the local hospital and cleaned bedpans. But then, I didn't have a baby out of wedlock in my teens! Regarding Shaniqua's complaint about "making ends meet" I wonder how many thousands she already gets in federal benefits (food stamps, WIC, ObamaPhone, Earned Income Tax Credit)?

UPDATE: Detroit McDonalds forced to close. A bankrupt city where vacant lots are often more numerous than homes and where unemployment is more than twice the national average.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator