Trump in Poland

Trump in Poland

Trump the Toast of Paris!


Aren't you getting tired of the Trump haters who say he isn't liked by our allies?

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fast Food Protests Spread as Burger Flippers Revolt

I've asked a guest blogger who feels passionately on this issue to comment!

Guest Blogger Pelican Stater saw this report:
They want a raise with those fries.

New York fast-food employees joined thousands of colleagues from across the country in a Thursday strike aimed at boosting their salaries to $15 an hour — more than double the current minimum rate.

“I’m not going to stay quiet,” said Shaniqua Davis, 20, a Bronx resident and McDonald’s worker. “I’m going to continue to fight. ... I’ve got a daughter to take care of. I struggle to make ends meet.”

Paying the bills is tough for employees who typically earn the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. The nationwide walkout, set for 50 cities, is targeting chains like McDonald’s, Taco Bell and Wendy’s.
Pelican Stater: I was at first struck by the comment and attitude of Ms. Davis. Then after a bit of pondering I was less so. It is a matter of perspective and expectations. When I had my first job in 1974 at the age of 15 I earned $2.00 an hour and was quite content to do so and felt fortunate to be working. Back then there was no grand sense of entitlement that exists currently. If, as I believe is the case with other younger folks her attitude is shared we have some very rough seas ahead as a nation. I also must wonder what she receives in food stamps and other assistance from the public dole. I didn't force her to have a child. I am not forcing her to work at McDonald's. PATHETIC !

Mike's America notes: I started working at minimum wage paying $1.60 an hour. For that, I took care of the elderly in the local hospital and cleaned bedpans. But then, I didn't have a baby out of wedlock in my teens! Regarding Shaniqua's complaint about "making ends meet" I wonder how many thousands she already gets in federal benefits (food stamps, WIC, ObamaPhone, Earned Income Tax Credit)?

UPDATE: Detroit McDonalds forced to close. A bankrupt city where vacant lots are often more numerous than homes and where unemployment is more than twice the national average.

No comments:

fsg053d4.txt Free xml sitemap generator